Friday, April 25, 2008

Lemon Thyme Tilapia Packets

If you're a long-time reader of 28 Cooks, you know that I favor recipes that are simple and quick to make, yet look like you invested a few hours in the kitchen. I also try and eat as healthy as possible, so I like to find recipes that not only fulfill the above qualities, but are also nutritious and filling.

Tilapia is a recurring ingredient on 28 Cooks because not only is it delicious and nutritious, but it's so easy to prepare. I wanted something quick to throw together for dinner tonight, so I knew tilapia was the perfect choice.

These packets literally take 5 minutes to throw together. The most time consuming task is slicing the lemons. Seriously. And the best thing about this recipe is that you can literally take it in a hundred directions. Use salmon or halibut in place of the tilapia. Try another herb instead of the thyme. Use lime instead of lemon. Throw some snowpeas down instead of the spinach. Use a flavored olive oil. No matter how you make it, this is a delicious dish that's sure to be a favorite!

Lemon Thyme Tilapia Packets

Lemon Thyme Tilapia Packets
Serves 2

2 tilapia filets
Salt and pepper
A touch of olive oil
1 organic lemon
2 large handfuls of spinach leaves, washed
A few sprigs of fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 425. Lightly spray 2 large sheets of foil or parchment paper with cooking spray. Slice lemon into 8 slices and discard the 2 end pieces. Place 3 slices of lemon horizontally in the center of the foil. Place handful of spinach on top of lemon. Place seasoned tilapia filets on top of spinach, drizzle with a little olive oil, and place thyme sprigs on top of fish. Fold up packets and place in preheated oven on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven. Allow to rest for a few minutes before opening packet. Discard lemon slices and thyme sprigs, serve, and enjoy!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks really FRESH. And I mean that in 80's hip hop lingo. Seriously, I can taste the lemon and herbs, and of course the fish, right now.

Anonymous said...

As someone who just finished tasting the lemon & herbs & fish, I can definitely agree with Adam C's review. Tastefully fresh.

Thanks for dinner.

Rhyleysgranny said...

That looks lovely and soooooooooo quick. i will be trying this

Nick said...

This looks delicious. I really should start doing more pouch cookery. I bet I could even do it in my cheapo toaster oven if I was only cooking for myself.

That said, if you're going to use significantly acidic ingredients in pouch cooking, please use parchment paper instead of foil; the acid can leech aluminum from the foil into the sauce, and most people don't need more aluminum in their diet.

Fiber said...

AC - Fresh is exactly the right word.

Lina - Please to enjoy.

Rhyleys Granny - It is super quick and easy. Almost too easy. =)

Nick - thanks for the tip. I prefer using parchment paper - I just happened to be out of it when I made this. Thank you for the comment though.

Anonymous said...

Yumm looks tasty, and the less there is to clean up, the more enjoyable the meal!

Anonymous said...

I love meals like this ... no mess. Sadly, our dishwasher broke down now we have to do dishes by hand :(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This looks really really good and professionally done! I may try it out next time :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Corrie said...

I made this the other night and really enjoyed it. I loved how easy it was. I made it with snow peas and that was a great substitution for the greens. The only thing I will change next time I make it, is to use less lemon. Both my husband and I found that the lemon flavor was too strong and overpowered the other great flavors.

Anonymous said...

So easy/ So Yummy!
And glad you like public speaking!
Me too.